I LOVE to read!
Okay, now that I’ve gotten that out of my system I would like to share my 2019 Book Recap with you all.
I decided at the beginning of 2019 that every book I read for the year would be a book written by an African American woman. As of December 2019, I read 22 novels:
- Parable of the Sower (Earthseed #1) by Octavia Butler,
- Kindred: A Graphic Novel Adaption written by Octavia Butler (Graphic Novel Adaption by Damian Duffy),
- Pride by Ibi Zoboi,
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid,
- Dust Tracks On a Road by Zora Neale Hurston,
- The Killing Moon (Dreamblood #1) by N. K. Jemisin,
- The Shadowed Sun (Dreamblood #2) by N. K. Jemisin,
- The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls by Anissa Gray,
- How Long ’til Black Future Month? by N. K. Jemisin,
- The Everlasting Rose (The Belles #2) by Dhonielle Clayton,
- A Blade So Black (Nightmare-verse #1) by L. L. McKinney,
- The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth #1) by N. K. Jemisin,
- Becoming by Michelle Obama,
- Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves by Glory Edin,
- The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth #2) by N. K. Jemisin,
- My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite,
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones,
- The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory,
- The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth #3) by N. K. Jemisin,
- Swing Time by Zadie Smith,
- Josephine Baker’s Last Dance by Sherry Jones (not written by an African American woman, but the main character is African American), and
- Parable of the Talents (Earthseed #2) by Octavia Butler.
Now I want to know what books you’ve read in 2019. Please share your book recommendations in the comments below.